Breeding progress for 150 years
For more than 150 years, quality and innovation have been the source of success for KWS. Our main products comprise sugarbeet, maize and cereals as well as oil crops such as rapeseed and sunflower. Our markets are situated in the temperate climatic zones of the world.
As pioneers of sugarbeet breeding, we have contributed to the increase in productivity of sugarbeet cultivation from an average sugar yield of 1,000 to 10,000 kg per hectare. Today, we are world leaders in the commercialization of sugarbeet seed and at the same time we are an independent breeding company.
Our scientists concentrate on the various demands of agriculture and are constantly facing the challenge to offer new solutions for the improvement of variety performance and technical quality.
15 % of our turnover is annually re-invested in research and breeding. For this purpose we use the latest knowledge in molecular biology, plant breeding and seed research for the improvement of product quality. With a responsibility towards nature and society, we measure our breeding objectives, methods, and products by the criteria of long term economic use of natural resources.
Facts and figures
KWS ranks among the world‘s leading plant breeding companies
- Independent breeding company
- Leader in sales of sugar beet seed in Europe and world wide
- Headquarters of the company: located at Einbeck, Germany
- Main turnover of the KWS group is obtained from the sugar beet crop, followed by maize (including oil and field crops) and cereals
- Staff: more than 4,400 people work for the KWS group, of which 1,800 are working in research and breeding
- Represented in about 70 countries with more than 60 subsidiaries and affiliated companies worldwide
- Worldwide net of research and breeding stations